I spent most of my life with issues I brushed off as normal. My doctors were never concerned about the symptoms I shared with them, including allergies, joint pain, aching extremities, anxiety and fatigue. It was not until recent years that I learned I could manage these issues without prescription medication! Taking control of my health, and my family’s health through nutrition alone, was an experience that will forever inform my mission on earth. It is that huge.
The straw that broke the camel’s back for me, was learning that we all had the MTHFR genetic mutation. My health practitioner, Erica L. Robinson has extensive experience with this issue and explained to me the implications, when I came to her not knowing I had this which had led to a host of issues such Leaky Gut Syndrome and Mood Disorders that we were all suffering from.
I will be forever grateful for the day I chose to work with her, and regained hope for our health and wellness. I will also be forever proud of my own tenacity in following Erica’s protocols to a tee, and gaining a vibrancy I never knew was even possible for me. My children and husband reaped incredible benefits as well, benefits we hadn’t even expected. It was like winning the lottery!
Now, I hesitate to write all of this, because honestly, when I am looking for a recipe, the preamble that leads into it… gets on my nerves. I had to share all this because I feel like understanding WHY someone who isn’t “allergic” to dairy and gluten would choose to eliminate it, is important. I have come to such a prioritization of my health, that I choose for the food I put into my body to be medicinal. I have learned that even “dessert” can truly heal your body. That to me, is absolutely beautiful.
The benefits of this particular recipe are pretty incredible, so if the photos alone don’t sell you, check this out! My cheesecake:
- Has high levels of iron, magnesium, zinc, copper and phosphorus
- Contains monounsaturated fatty acids that promote healthy levels of good cholesterol or "HDL". It also reduces triglyceride levels, which aides in better glucose management for a person with Diabetes.
- Contains magnesium, which protects against high blood pressure and supports healthy muscles and bones.
- Has copper, which assists in energy production and provides flexibility in blood vessels, bones and joints.
- Is loaded With antioxidants! Antioxidants support brain health as well as reduce cell damage, reduce inflammation and support immune function!
The reason we all transitioned to a dairy and gluten free lifestyle is because as we have a methylation gene mutation, our bodies have a difficult time managing inflammation (dairy and gluten are the most inflammatory foods we can eat), and we have a harder time with detoxifying.
If you are curious to learn more about this issue, I am hosting a free online event with experts Erica L. Robinson, Dr. William Sears and my friend and Biologist Jennifer Hewson on February 25th. I hope you'll join us!
SO, whether you are looking to make dairy/gluten free cheesecake because of health issues like I dealt with, or something else, without further adieu, here is the recipe!! And thanks for reading my preamble!
This recipe is SO EASY to make, so please don’t let all the preparation discourage you. Each step is very simple, and all in all, it is just as easy (or even easier) than traditional cheesecake.
- Put a can of coconut milk in the fridge overnight (this will cause the contents to separate for creamy coconut cream risen to the top for easy scooping).
- Put 2 cups of frozen mixed berries in the fridge to thaw overnight
- Soften pitted dates in hot water for 10 minutes before you begin making this recipe
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1.25 cups course almond flour
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- Zest of one lemon
Lemon Layer Ingredients:
- 2.5 cups raw cashews soaked in water overnight and rinsed
- Approx. ¾ cup coconut cream
- ¼ cup room temp coconut oil
- ½ cup maple syrup
- Zest of one lemon
- Pinch of sea salt
Berry Layer Ingredients:
- 2 cups frozen mixed berries, thawed and excess water drained
- 4 tbsp coconut cream
- ¾ cup raw cashews soaked in water overnight and rinsed
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- Blend all the crust ingredients in your food processer or blender until well combined (it is ok if it is pasty, this crust is forgiving!). Press into the bottom of your springform pan.
- Add the lemon layer ingredients and blend until smooth and creamy. Pour and spread over your crust, and put in the freezer while you make the berry layer.
- Add berry layer ingredients to the blender and blend til smooth and creamy
- Freeze for at least three hours
- Cut and thaw as needed (in the fridge or at room temp)
- Top with thawed or fresh berries
Enjoy! This recipe was a total hit with my whole family, and I hope it is with yours too!
Recipe adapted from Paleo Running Momma